Sunday, August 16, 2009

Putting it together


As Ry loves to remind me, Facebook can often be a vacuous narcissistic waste of time. But I do enjoy the reconnections it has afforded me.  Last night I got together with an eclectic group of friend from high school to go to the Magic Castle.  I used to go there as a kid with my folks.  It almost lived up to the nostalgia hype in my mind.  It was neat to get to see some old pals though.  Jana, a middle school science teacher. Caitlin, a previous buyer for Borders, recently transplanted back to LA and trying to decide what she wants to be when she grows up. Carolyn and her fiance David, both lawyers that met on match.com. Forrest and his girlfriend Michelle, world class ballroom dancers. And little old me. Rather a casting mash up of Gilligan's Island proportions.  The "magic" shows ended up being more about juggling. Sadly nothing as good as this. It was this guy and his wife.  But we did see some amazing card tricks.  

I will say the most frustrating thing about the evening was the drive.  I drove 96 miles in an hour and a half, then it took me another 30 minutes to drive 10 miles. Ahh, L.A. I don't care what Randy Newman says. Not worth it. How could you live there?  I just don't get it.  Still and all, trying to get out of the house now. While I can.  
Ryan appreciated it too I think. He went to see High on Fire unmolested by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment