Monday, August 31, 2009

Dreaming





So I have been having an awful lot of strange dreams lately, no surprise there. What’s interesting is they are so vivid, I can actually remember what they were about when I wake up. Saturday night I had a dream that I was making breakfast. I’d made cream cheese and raspberry jam sandwiches on brioche then I cut off the crusts, cut them into strips and coated them in an egg wash and fried them up French toast style. Not sure if this would be good or not, but it sounds interesting enough to try to make. Then again, a lot of food items sound good to me right now that are questionable.
The dream I had last night was even more bizarre. I dreamt I was in a production of Jesus Christ Superstar, also starring the cast of Mad Men. Peggy was Mary, Pete Campbell was Judas, Roger was Pontius Pilate and Don was Jesus (of course). I think I was just chorus. Joan was the stage manager. She had a clipboard and everything. I frequently have these dreams where it is opening night of a play and I haven’t really been paying attention to the rehearsal process. But this one wasn’t a stress dream as usual, since I have actually been in that show twice. Sure it was 20 years ago, but if you’re like me, those damn songs NEVER get out of your head. The really interesting part of the dream happened at intermission. Apparently the theater we were performing in was in Japan, because as I shuffled outside with the audience the haunting lilt of flute music reached my ears. I went out to the balcony and there were 50 Japanese aerialists in grey and red jumpsuits about to perform a “Kabuki” rendition of Hamlet. There were no words, just dancing in patterns (think Beijing opening ceremonies 2008) to the music. Then, a tiny girl in a red jumpsuit jumped off the 7 story balcony right next to me. We all gasped as she plummeted toward the concrete courtyard. When she was just a spec of her former size, her compatriot caught her and the show ended. It was so beautiful I started crying.
Seriously. Strange stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment